Forget ‘Accessory after the fact’. With the ever growing importance of the entire accessories arena, accessories ARE the FACT! And so, I always look forward to the bi-annual Neiman Marcus Press Preview Presentation of Accessories which never disappoints and seems to get better each time (as though that’s even possible). And admittedly, it’s hard to say which part of the proceedings I love the most.
- Is it getting a chance to talk fashion and shoot the breeze with the hosts (and two of my favorite fashion people) Ken Downing, VP Corporate PR, and Sandra Wilson, Accessories Fashion Director?
- Or is it having the opportunity to preview the highly visual and enchanting capsule selection of what the team considers to be the most important items for the next season? And from the look of things, for spring 2006 that would be: white and cream (mixing shades and textures thereof); peep toe pumps; gold; sunglasses (especially Tom Ford’s new collection which will be an exclusive to Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman in April); oversized white bags (particularly the new elongated feedbag shape; the new low wedge heel; all shades of green; designer denim; pewter; mother of pearl; white chalk jewelry (which replaces fall’s black jet); the use of red and shocking pink shoes to add an unexpected jolt of color to beige.
- Or could it be that I feel right at home in the deliciously scented (thanks to Agraria candles) duplex suite at the Chambers Hotel where dizzying displays of bags, belts, lace boleros, shoes, sandals, scarves, watches, fine jewelry, and sunglasses, are purposely strewn on couches and chairs, flung across the dining room table, line the staircase, cover the bed, and hang from the shower? (Come to think of it… I guess the reason I feel so at home among the artful disarray is that it reminds me of my home!)
- Or is it the fact that I get some great ideas (after talking to Ken and Sandra and seeing the creative displays) that needn’t be put on hold for the spring months ahead but can be called into service right this minute? Why wait until April or May to creatively mix shades and textures of cream and white, find a ‘platform’ to stand on without being a politician, add a jolt of surprising color (like yellow, green, red, or Schiaparelli pink) in the form of a bag, scarf, or shoe, to enliven that all black ensemble or better yet, a camel coat or tan trench? And since we’re all shopping for gifts, what more perfect time to start toting that chic and oversized bag?
- Or is it the always welcome, thoughtful, and generous goodie bag I and other invitees receive upon leaving? Which this time, filled with so many holiday perfect beauty products and treatments (including heavy duty Re Vive and La Prairie anti-aging creams and serums both of which guarantee dramatic results without plastic surgery), was the perfect reminder that perhaps the best accessory of all is the ability to put your best face forward?